Do you know the warning signs of cancer in your pets?
As they age, pets are more likely to develop some type of cancer. Signs include:
- Lumps or bumps that grow or change
- Wounds that don’t heal
- Persistent or recurrent lameness
- Unexplained weight loss
- Lack of appetite
- Difficulty eating or swallowing
- Bleeding from the mouth, nose or rectum
- Difficulty breathing
- Straining to urinate or defecate
- Lack of energy
If your pet shows any of these signs, take him to the veterinarian right away. Cancer is treatable with surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy and other techniques, especially when caught in the early stages.
Read more, including suggestions for how you can volunteer to help animals, in this week’s Pet Connection.