Keeping pets safe from poison - Dr. Marty Becker


Keeping pets safe from poison

Wednesday, Mar 24th, 2021 | By Dr. Marty Becker

sick kitten at vet

It’s National Animal Poison Prevention Week. Do you know what yard and household substances put your dog or cat at risk?

In the kitchen, beware of dark chocolate, grapes, mushrooms and anything moldy that your pet might snag from the trash. Your medicine cabinet holds ibuprofen, acetaminophen and your prescription medication; even without opposable thumbs, pets can chew their way into bottles or find pills that have fallen to the floor unnoticed. And in the yard and garage, beware of toxic plants, tulip and other bulbs, herbicides, fertilizers and pesticides.

If you believe your pet has ingested something toxic, call ASPCA Animal Poison Control at 888-426-4435 or Pet Poison Helpline at 800-213-6680.

There’s more – including exciting news about feline health research – in Pet Connection, the weekly nationally syndicated pet feature I co-write with Kim Campbell Thornton and my daughter, trainer Mikkel Becker.