The problem with pets and marijuana/cannabis poisoning - Dr. Marty Becker


The problem with pets and marijuana/cannabis poisoning

Monday, Jul 30th, 2018 | By Dr. Marty Becker

Sweet sad dog

The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center is receiving an increasing number of calls regarding pets who have eaten marijuana plants or dried cannabis, as are local veterinarians.

Animals can get sick from eating cannabis or edibles, becoming depressed or fatigued, dribbling urine, and developing a low body temperature and slow heart rate. More serious side effects from products with higher concentrations include low blood pressure, agitation, and seizures. At least one pet has died.

The message to owners: Don’t be afraid to call a poison control hotline or to take your pet to the vet if you know or suspect he has ingested marijuana. They won’t turn you in, and they do want to care for your pet.

Read more, including new information on why some pets are more sensitive to pain than others, in Pet Connection, the weekly nationally syndicated pet feature I co-write with Kim Campbell Thornton and my daughter, trainer Mikkel Becker.